Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Piggies

I was talking to Ray Doussett, ICC's Asia Office representative recently. We were chatting about how we often carry burdens we don't need to be hauling around with us. Ray sent me the following story.

It helped me to get one or two things in perspective. Maybe it will help you too.

PIGGIES

I recall walking along a Texas creek many years ago with my brother-in-law Ed and his 3 year-old son David. David had been collecting smooth, round stones from the stream while we walked. He called them “piggies”, because their rounded shape reminded him of little pigs.

David had stuffed a number of “piggies” in his pockets, and after running out of pockets he began carrying them in his arms. After a while he began to stagger under the load and lag behind. It was obvious he would never make it back to the house without help, so Ed said, “Here, David, let me carry your piggies.”

Reluctance clouded David’s face for a moment, and then it lit up. “I know,” he said. “You carry me and I’ll carry my piggies.”

I’ve often thought of that incident and my own childish insistence that I must carry my own load. Jes.. offers to take all of my burdens but I resist out of stubbornness and pride. “You carry me,” I say, “but I’ll carry my ‘piggies.’”

How foolish is it to try to carry all your burdens on your own when Jes.. asks you to “cast all your care upon Him, for He cares for you” (1 Pet.. 5:7).

Have you put all your “piggies” in Jes..’ strong arms today?

1 comment:

David said...

Allison, can't believe your second post to the blog was about 'piggies'! Great story - I am sure that it will encourage those that read it

Dave