Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Celebrating Youth Day


Kyla Alexander, Hengyang Project Manager writes:

'Youth Day, in China, is celebrated May 4 each year. We decided to bless the Hengyang youth with an outdoor cinema experience - and blessed and excited they were.

A big white screen was set up against the wall and amplifiers were hired, thanks to a fundraiser held by a UK church youth group. As the youth waited for the sun to set and the movie to start, many grabbed the microphone and took turns to serenade the crowd. Even the Welfare Centre Director sang solo!

Walt Disney’s ‘Cars’ captured the attention of many of the more hyperactive boys. They were captivated by the big screen and the big sound, and quietly watched the movie. Many living on the welfare centre grounds, including some of the elderly, joined in the fun. The youth even brought some of the babies up to join the celebration.

At the end of the night we heard the following:

  • ‘Is there another movie tomorrow night?’
  • ‘That is the first real movie I’ve ever seen, thanks!’

The biggest reward for us was the smiles on their faces as they went to bed.’

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my ! it reminds me of the wonderful time I was in Changsha!!! This photo makes me weep tears of joy! What a great reminder of how big our Father is. I will keep you all close in my thoughts, and ask special things for all of you.