Friday, November 19, 2004

Chen Shi (John) - in his own words.

Hello,

I am one of the handicapped young people in a welfare centre in Hunan, China. My Chinese name is Chen Shi and my English name is John. This is my story.

As early as I can remember, I have lived and grown up in the welfare centre. From childhood, I have had problems with my lower body, though my upper body remains strong and healthy. Regardless of my condition, I have embraced life without apprehension, hesitation or resentfulness, as I’ve found myself to be blessed with joyous moments and great friends.

At 13 years of age I had not yet begun regular school, so was very much like a child, naïve about the world. Every day I sought only to play. I sometimes helped my carers with errands like helping to feed or change the other children’s’ clothes. At that time I was living at the welfare centre under the care of the government.

In 1997 I was transferred to Oasis House and to the care of ICC. I’m still residing here 7 years later! I feel as though I have changed so much these past 7 years. Perhaps it is because I’ve grown from a child into a young man. I am currently in my third year of middle school. My teachers and classmates treat me very well and are very willing to help me. My favourite subjects include computer class, English and art. Other than schoolwork, my interests span computer graphics to drawing, painting and playing keyboards and guitar.

My friends, do you know why I’ve changed so much? It is because I’ve realised the many gifts that God has blessed me with. He is well in control of all circumstances and I feel as though He has chosen me. He loves me. Of course I am eternally grateful to you, my friends who have helped me so much. You have been ceaselessly praying for me, for everyone, for the whole world. Thank you.

As I grow up the numbers who pray for me also grow. So with all my heart, mind and soul, I thank the Lord and I thank you, my dear friends. For Him alone, I strive to do better.

John (Chen Shi)

No comments: